A cancer widow, author and motivational speaker, Marlys Johnson is available to speak at your next event. Inspired by the journey she navigated with her husband, Marlys outlines how she and Gary continued to write their love story and turned loss into triumph after a diagnosis of incurable cancer.
In addition to topics around cancer and caregiving, Marlys speaks on how to rebuild a life when loss impacts us.
✓ Prompt responses to your email and phone calls
✓ A pre-event phone call to clarify what you expect of me
✓ A blurb about your event on my blog (if the event is open to the public)
✓ A professional presentation designed to fit your needs, including a “call to action” hand-out, as appropriate
✓ Post-event communication for any feedback you might have to offer
A member of the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association (AWSA), I have more than 10 years speaking experience and have been interviewed for local and national radio, TV, podcast, magazine, and newsprint.
My blog site is updated frequently and I’m currently a contributing writer for six national and international web organizations. I’ve also authored a book, Cancer Adventures: Turning Loss into Triumph, a collection of short stories of cancer survivors and caregivers who found purpose and a way to give back.
Widowed now since November 2014, I have four adult children – two that were born to us, two who married into our family – and six grandchildren, three of whom were adopted from Uganda. I make my home in Bend, Oregon, and spend as much time as possible hiking, snow-shoeing, canoeing, and reading (preferably outdoors along the river).
I have presented to a variety of audiences at university cancer centers, to nursing and college students, and to the healthcare professionals. Here is a sampling of previous speaking venues:
• National Cancer Institute – Bethesda, MD
• California Nursing Students Association State Convention – Ontario, CA
• Jackson Hole Rotary Supper Club – Jackson, WY
• Princeton Alliance Church – Princeton, NJ
• The Stupid Cancer Show – New York, NY
• “People Living Through Cancer” Conference – Albuquerque, NM
• Univ of WA Fred Hutchison Cancer Center – Seattle, WA
• Upper Vermont “Man to Man” event – Montpelier, VT
• University of Arizona Cancer Center – Tucson, AZ
• America Cancer Society Survivor Luncheon – Beaverton, OR
• University of South Florida Moffitt Cancer Center – Tampa, FL
If you’d like to know more about having me speak at your event or want to check my availability, please contact me though the email form on this page. Thank you.