An award-winning author and motivational speaker, Marlys Johnson Lawry is available to speak at your next event. Inspired by the wilderness journey she navigated with her first husband and then taking a risk at later-in-life love, Marlys speaks on how to rebuild a life when loss impacts us.
✓ Prompt responses to your email and phone calls
✓ A pre-event phone call to clarify what you expect of me
✓ A blurb about your event on my blog (if the event is open to the public)
✓ A professional presentation designed to fit your needs, including a “call to action” hand-out, as appropriate
✓ Post-event communication for any feedback you might have to offer
A member of Oregon Christian Writers (OCW) and Advanced Writers and Speakers Association (AWSA), I have more than 10 years speaking experience and have been interviewed for local and national radio, TV, podcast, magazine, and newsprint.
My blog site is updated frequently, I’ve been published in Chicken Soup for the Soul and Bella Grace magazine, and I’m currently a contributing writer for a handful of national web-based organizations. I’ve also authored a book, Cancer Adventures: Turning Loss into Triumph — a collection of short stories of cancer survivors and caregivers who determined a way to give back.
After being widowed for 6 years, I’m a newly-wed to a cancer widower — a kind and thoughtful man who supports my writing and speaking. Between the two of us, we have 9 adult children and children-in-law, and 9 grandchildren. We make our home in Bend, Oregon, and our spare time is spent hiking, snowshoeing, kayaking, camping, and playing with the grands.
I have presented to a variety of audiences at university cancer centers, to nursing and college students, and to the healthcare professionals. Here is a sampling of previous speaking venues:
• National Cancer Institute – Bethesda, MD
• California Nursing Students Association State Convention – Ontario, CA
• Jackson Hole Rotary Supper Club – Jackson, WY
• Princeton Alliance Church – Princeton, NJ
• The Stupid Cancer Show – New York, NY
• “People Living Through Cancer” Conference – Albuquerque, NM
• Univ of WA Fred Hutchison Cancer Center – Seattle, WA
• Upper Vermont “Man to Man” event – Montpelier, VT
• University of Arizona Cancer Center – Tucson, AZ
• America Cancer Society Survivor Luncheon – Beaverton, OR
• University of South Florida Moffitt Cancer Center – Tampa, FL
If you’d like to know more about having me speak at your event or want to check my availability, please contact me though the email form on this page. Thank you.